Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The stories of MY Mobiles.

There was a time when mobiles used to be as costly as an imported luxury car.Time has passed, the world has changed and with it, so have the prices of mobiles.

It was in 1994 when I heard the term mobiles coined, to be exact, let me say cellular phones. I remember the day that my parents brought home a wireless cord phone and I also remember I was excited. I was a small kid then but curious. I was happy to see that the phones had shrinked. When I used to boast of this to my rich kids of rich dads at school, some used to laugh and say that their dads had bought for themselves cellular phones. Cellular phones!!!I used to wonder then the nature of these and they were costly mind you.

I used to come home and ask my dad about them cell phones and why we could not buy them. My parents always replied then that we could not afford one and the cordless phone was something that we did manage to afford. Those were days I guess when we belonged to the lower middle class and my dad was a manager at a low level, the company which he worked in had'nt yet made the mark.Moreover it was only 3 yrs since the 1991 economic reforms, which thankfully made the inroads for electronic devices.

And, so I gloomed, thinking that I would never have access to these cellular phones which are being now so popularly called mobile phones.


Ten years gave way, the dot com boom, the US tragedy, the Afghan War and India's booming economy. It was in 2001 that my Dad brought a Nokia 3310. A sturdy phone with the basic features which would now be considered a waste but it was a hell of a popular phone those days. I rejoiced. Wow! A mobile in my home!! But the irony was that I did not crave for a mobile phone. I never wanted to own one but I was happy to see a mobile in my home. There was mostly Nokia in the mobile stores and a few Motorola's and a few Sony Ericsson. But there was a hardly any others.

Year 2006 - the beginning of the 2nd year of my graduation. I inherited the Nokia 3310 from my father whereas he had been promoted and given a Reliance phone. I chose Spice Telecom as the operator but soon found to be unsatisfying. I shifted to Bharti Airtel and found its network valuable. Besides the 100 SMS / day scheme enabled me to be a frequent mobile user. This went for three years when in November 2008 I changed to Nokia 3110 Classic which is again another excellent phone. I never know why, but Nokia has been my brand phone for the years, even though there were several mobiles available in the market at competently low prices - Samsung, LG, Onida, BPL, etc. I brought the Nokia 3110C for Rs 4500/-.

And now it is May 2010 - I brought another Nokia 2700C - wow excellent features with bluetooth, 2MP cam, 3.5 mm audio jack, excellent display, with 1 GB memory card for just 3.5K. Cool!!! Now the mobiles are in everybody's hands. They are selling like vegetables. and the prices have also come down. Great!!!. Gone are the days when mobiles used to be a luxury items. Now with IPhones, Blackberries, the mobiles phones have reached new levels. With such great abundance of mobiles in the market, one has a variety of choices. You dont need to go far, a store is just to you.

God knows what next!!! With the 3G and 4g Spectrums in place and the ongoing tariff war ( I got 3 Sims at present for diff purposes - Airtel, Reliance, Tata Docomo), the world will LEAP!!!



No comments: